Tuesday 21 April 2015

On Noble Pregnancy.


A birth story of the combined births of our four children. 


These are my memories


You are as kind to me
As the taste of a lollypop
My heavy belly drags my soul
 To the dropping ground
And you fold your arms under and lighten me up
So it’s just my body, just my body as
 You hold our child, still
In my belly, in your arms
And relieve me of my load momentarily
A human belly harness swing
You and water can make this happen
Weightless bobbing mimosa bliss
Now my center of weight has shifted
And I stumble when I try to be nimble and seek
To hold solid
As I accustom myself to my front bubble blossoming
I’m reacquainted with my elegance and presence of being
My hair is thick and my skin is plump
I am beautiful and magnificent
A beacon and the world sees it
I belong to you belong to me in our obvious
Coitus back-projection:
‘I know what you two have been doing’-ness
Right now I want to be owned by and linked to you
Like an ape. I want to stay close to your scent
My body understands this even when I don’t
Increasing mammalian underscoring in my actions
Right up until go time I am still ego driven ultimately
In control. But that drops away incrementally
As the Braxton Hicks morph into the real McCoy
Everything is ocean, waves, liquid
Waves of pain, waves of consciousness
Interspersed with waves of self affirmations
Waves of your voice
Do those noises come from me? In waves.
I observe the irresistible, wonderful animal
Urge to push, it is orgasmic and enticing
And I’m not allowed to do it.
The wave of words from the attendees:
“stop pushing right now”
My animal self says:
“I have to push; you must let me push”
I want that orgasm I want that satisfaction
There is no other thing my body must do
Right now, but push.
Drag my superego kicking and screaming back to the
Forefront of my consciousness and abstain
From that sweet push
Gulping in breathy waves
Side coaching ape husband smelling beautiful
Pheromones like channel
No. 5
Acknowledging me and my hard work
Waves of gratitude to my partner in crime
“I love you,” I say
“push” I’m told by the other attending ape
Sweet mother of Christ I push
Waves of push, painful focused pushing
Waves of human descending, flowing
Out of me. This is somebody's normal
Somebody's job, somebody's everyday
This miraculous normality.
Our baby arrives in three waves,
Surfing on the saline, hanging ten
My arms, my face salty
I hold beauty; crumpled, delicate beauty
Then some bustle
Quickly making the bed of decorum
Tucking in the tendrils of primitive
And overlaying my bedspread of ego
Neatly arranged as the nurses clean away the
Evidence of fluid, saline primordial soup
A little spritz of essential oils in the room
And we the suburban family
Sit up and smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment